Our 8 Best Wooden Bed Frames
- 1 Our 8 Best Wooden Bed Frames
- 1.1 The Furniture Outlet Hampshire Double Bed Frame
- 1.2 Movian Corona Double Bed
- 1.3 Zinus Alexia Deluxe Platform Bed
- 1.4 Pentre Oak Two Drawers Bed Frame
- 1.5 Wilkes Wooden Storage Bed Frame
- 1.6 Hastings Sleepmotion Adjustable Wooden Bed Frame
- 1.7 Bentley Designs Hampstead Bedstead Oak
- 1.8 Isabella Wooden Ottoman Bed Frame
- 1.9 Final thoughts
A solid, well-built wooden bed frame can be the difference between a restorative night of sleep and waking up every hour in squeaky misery. Our first bed frame was a cheap metal CraigsList find, and my husband and I spent years waking each other up every time we rolled over. When we finally invested in a sturdy wooden bed frame, we were amazed at the difference. It didn’t move, squeak, or cause marital strife!
Wooden bed frames can be classically beautiful, simplistically modern, and feature a variety of stains and styles. Best of all, they’re sturdy and built to last. The best wooden bed frames are also much less likely to squeak than metal bed frames, which feature metal-on-metal joints.
If you’re looking for a good night’s sleep and a beautiful bedroom, these are our top nine picks for the best wooden bed frames on the market.
The Furniture Outlet Hampshire Double Bed Frame
This oak bed frame is a beautiful choice if you’re looking for painted wooden furniture. It features a blue headboard, footboard, and bed frame with natural wood accents. We also love the wooden slats on the base, which eliminate the need for a box spring. Whether you need this for a master bedroom, a guest bedroom, or your teenager, it will elevate any room in the house with its classic style and lovely blue shade.
It fits a standard double mattress and measures 145 x 204 x 105 (cm). The Furniture Outlet ensures free delivery and returns, which is always a bonus when ordering furniture you haven’t seen in person.
The tools and instructions are included to simplify assembly.
- It has painted oak and natural finish accents.
- Wooden slats provide ultimate comfort and support.
- The bed frame has a high foot end.
- No delivery to Northern Ireland.
- There are no middle support legs.
- If you ever wanted to paint this, you would likely need to thoroughly sand down the current paint.
Movian Corona Double Bed
This gorgeous solid pine bed will have you feeling like you’re an actual adult with an actual adult bed. The Mexican-style bed frame combines practicality with comfort and beauty. There are sturdy slats and thick legs for support, as well as grooves and detailed woodwork on the panels and posts.
It’s a double bed, measuring 207 x 149 x 110 cm, and is available with a low or high foot end or as a single bed. I personally love the high foot end, which makes this bed frame look like four-poster bed luxury.
The distressed, waxed pine can be wiped with a dry cloth to clean. Assembly requires a screwdriver, or drill if you would prefer, and is easier with two people.
- Thick and sturdy legs provide stability.
- The natural look is simple and clean.
- It has middle support legs.
- Make sure to read the directions thoroughly before assembly.
- If you do run into issues, this company will not provide a refund or replacement after 30 days.
Zinus Alexia Deluxe Platform Bed
A reliable product from Zinus, this wooden bed frame comes in six different sizes and six finishes, including natural, dark brown, pine, and rustic pine. While I try not to play favourites, this may be one of the best wooden bed frames if you’re looking for simple and classic.
The Deluxe model features a thicker frame and two extra support legs. Both models have non-slip tape and padding on the frame and slats, which will reduce movement and noise.
This is an incredibly durable option, and Zinus has impressed me with their superior customer services and products.
- The pre-bolted joints make assembly a breeze.
- There’s enough room for under-the-bed storage.
- One-box delivery and a five-year warranty.
- This bed frame is not designed to be used with a headboard, footboard, or box spring.
- The design may be too simple for some.
- Check the availability, because it does sell out from time to time.
Pentre Oak Two Drawers Bed Frame
This wooden bed with storage drawers is available in double and king size. It features two spacious pull-out drawers near the foot of the bed, which would be ideal for storing clothes or sheets and blankets.
It’s made from solid hardwood with an oak finish, so you know you’re getting a quality product that will last for years to come. The solid slatted base is both convenient and sturdy.
Linx Beds boasts an easy ordering process and a free and quick two-man delivery. Their customer service and their products are top-notch.
- Beautiful light wood oak finish.
- Impressive customer service.
- It’s a solid wood storage bed.
- The cabin bed style is a little boxier than some of our other options.
- There are not a lot of pictures available online.
- Only one finish option.
Wilkes Wooden Storage Bed Frame
If you’ve been combing through the options for wooden storage beds, this pine bed frame has a beautiful dark finish and comes with TEN storage compartments with 34 cm depth and six wicker baskets.
Add a mattress and all that stuff you never had room for, and you’re good to go. The Wilkes Bed frame has a modern, sleek design that’s perfect for small spaces.
You can purchase an additional two baskets, and the two compartments at the foot of the bed do not fit baskets but are instead meant for stacking books or DVDs.
There are easy to follow, downloadable instructions, and the bed should take two people a half an hour to put together.
- The base is made with panels and slats, so that mattress isn’t going anywhere.
- It comes with a one-year guarantee.
- Perfect if you’re lacking storage.
- This bed frame is made from pine and pine veneer, meaning that it is not 100% solid wood.
- Assembly is not available due to current restrictions.
- There is presently a 12-week backorder.
Hastings Sleepmotion Adjustable Wooden Bed Frame
The only adjustable bed on our list, Hastings takes it a step further by offering three different variations. The 100i is the most inexpensive, with a 300kg weight limit and an adjustable head area controlled by a wired remote.
The 200i can adjust your head and feet with a wireless remote or the app, and the 400i can adjust the head, back, and lumbar, and features back and feet massage. Both the 200i and 400i have Zero Gravity technology and a 355kg weight limit. Basically, this is what dreams are made of.
The bed frame is made from solid ash and ash veneer and has an upholstered grey headboard. Not only is it minimalist and stylish, but it allows you to sit up in bed, ease pain, and improve circulation. You may have the aches and pains of your grandmother, but your massage bed will still look deceptively cool.
- 20% off when bought with a mattress. Snag that deal!
- One-year guarantee and free delivery.
- There is also a solid slat base option- no adjustability.
- This product has a 12-week wait time.
- If you want to remain elevated while you sleep, go with the 200i or 400i.
- The wood has a yellow tint.
Bentley Designs Hampstead Bedstead Oak
This traditional bed frame made with oiled American oak solids has a sprung slatted base and a beautiful option for creating your own peaceful oasis. You have your choice of single, double, or king-size, and Prestige Beds offers free delivery and financing, which is always helpful when making a big purchase.
I love the classic, clean design and light oak wood. Sometimes less is more, and that is certainly the case with this bed frame.
- Prestige price matches if you find the product cheaper elsewhere.
- It’s elegant and timeless.
- There is matching bedroom furniture.
- 4-6 week delivery time.
- If you’re looking for bells and whistles, there’s no storage or adjustability.
- There’s only one colour option.
Isabella Wooden Ottoman Bed Frame
The Isabella Ottoman design takes wooden bed frames with storage to a whole new level. With an easy and smooth lifting mechanism, you can access a 25cm deep storage ottoman. While some ottoman beds have to be forced up, that’s not the case here.
The tall indented headboard elevates the look, and it comes in a light oak or dark walnut finish. The quality, design, and sturdiness of this bed are impressive on their own; add in the storage and you’ve got a real winner.
It’s available in a 4’6” double and a 5’ king.
- A ton of invisible storage that’s easily accessible.
- No footboard, which I find to be a pro for taller people.
- You get 20% off if you purchase a mattress.
- This will take two people an hour to put together.
- 7-week delivery time.
- Some king bed frames are 6’, while this one is 5’.
Are wooden bed frames sturdy?
Absolutely! Wooden bed frames are study. They are often chosen for their durability and longevity. Wooden slats (rarely used on metal beds) provide extra support and take the place of box springs, which can be expensive. Wooden frames are also available in a wide array of both classic and modern styles and less likely to squeak.
What type of wood is best for a bed frame?
Oak is the best for a bed frame in our opinion. Its also one of the most popular hardwoods used for furniture for its durability. It does not yield to insect or fungal attacks and is incredibly resistant to moisture, which makes it a nice option for areas with high humidity (1). Pine is also a preferred choice for its versatility and affordability. All woods have their own unique properties, and just about any of them make a nice bed frame.
How do I stop a wooden bed frame from squeaking?
To stop a wooden bed frames from squeaking first try to isolate the spot where the squeaking is coming from. Be sure to tighten any loose screws or bolts on the bed frame. If that doesn’t solve your problem, you can remove the screws and spray with a lubricant like WD-40, use beeswax on a squeaky joint, or replace any metal washers with plastic ones. An older box spring or uneven flooring could also be the root of your problem.
Can I paint a wooden bed frame?
Most of the beds on our list are already stained, but if you would like to customize them with a fun coat of paint, there are ways to do so properly. While you don’t need to completely strip the stain, it may be helpful to sand the wood, especially if it has a glossy finish. Paint evenly with an angled brush, using as many coats as needed to achieve full coverage (2).
We’ve rounded up the eight best wooden bed frames for anybody looking for a bedroom upgrade or a better night’s sleep. These solid wood frames are timeless, simple, and will stand the test of time. But if you haven’t found something you like check out more from our best bed frames recommendations.
Not a single one requires a box spring, which is a win in my book. No matter your personal style, there’s something here for everyone, including inventive storage solutions. You spend over a third of your life in bed, so go ahead, get the one you love